Legal Requirements for Registrations of Marriages in Sri Lanka (FOR FOREIGN NATIONALS)
- Public Opening Hours – Mon - Fri from 9.30am to 1pm.
- Telephone Inquires - Mon - Fri from 2.30pm to 5.00pm.
- No prior appointments - First come first served basis.
- All original documents must be submitted along with photocopies.
- Fees - ONLY CASH at the Consular Counters.
- Click here to view the High Commission Holidays
The legal requirements for Registration of Marriages of Foreign Nationals in Sri Lanka are very straightforward. You are required to produce the following documents to the Divisional/District Registrar of the area where your marriage would take place.
• Valid Passports of the couple wishing to get married
• Original Birth certificates of the couple wishing to get married
• The following documents should be certified by the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (for British nationals) and legalised by the Sri Lanka High Commission, London: -
a) Singles - Unmarried certificate/s
b) Divorcees- Decree absolute certificate and Free to Marry Certificate/s
c) If widowed, the Death Certificate of your late spouse, your previous marriage certificate and Free to Marry Certificate
d) If you have changed your name, a Deed Poll (including divorcees who have reverted to their maiden names)
• Unmarried certificate / Free to Marry Certificate: - An affidavit/statutory declaration signed by a solicitor to confirm who you are and your present status (un-married/ free to marry). Separate affidavits for the period of time lived in different countries which are certified/ legalised by respective Foreign Office & Sri Lankan Mission accredited to that country
• For other nationals living in the UK, the documents should be certified by their respective Diplomatic Mission in the UK and legalised by the Sri Lanka High Commission in London.
• Valid visa to travel to Sri Lanka
All documents must be in English in case of foreign nationals. You must have resided in Sri Lanka for at least four (04) days immediately prior to the date of giving notice before the registration can take place.
PLEASE NOTE: Once you have married in Sri Lanka, you must get your marriage certificate certified by the Consular Affairs Section of the Ministry of External Affairs in Colombo; if the certificate issued in Sinhalese/ Tamil language you may obtain official English translation and certified that as well by the Ministry of External Affairs, only then will your marriage certificate be valid to submit to authorities outside of Sri Lanka.
For Visa Information:
Sri Lanka High Commission, London
Tel: 020 7262 1841 – Ext. 223
For Travel information:
Sri Lanka Tourism Promotion Bureau
No. 13, Hyde Park Gardens
London W2 2LU
Tel: 0845 880 6333
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ,
Legalisation of Marriage Certificate:
Consular Division of the Ministry of External Affairs Sri Lanka
No. 14, 3rd Floor, Sir Baron Jayatillaka Mawatha, Colombo 01
Tel : 0094 11 4718972 / 4719593
Fax : 0094 11 2473899
Registrar General's Department of Sri Lanka
No 280, Main Street
TP: 00 94 11 2393071