Issuance of a New Passport in lieu of a Current / Expired Passport
- Public Opening Hours – Mon - Fri from 9.30am to 1pm.
- Telephone Inquires - Mon - Fri from 2.30pm to 5.00pm.
- No prior appointments - First come first served basis.
- All original documents must be submitted along with photocopies.
- Fees - ONLY CASH at the Consular Counters.
- Click here to view the High Commission Holidays
ISSUANCE OF A NEW PASSPORT IN LIEU OF A CURRENT/EXPIRED PASSPORT
A Sri Lankan citizen by descent or by registration can apply for a Sri Lankan Passport. Ordinary passports are valid for 10 years from the date of issuance unless otherwise endorsed. A new passport should be obtained on the expiry of 10 years from the date of issue, or if there are no pages for visa endorsements.
Following documents are required to be submitted (Originals with 02 sets of photocopies from each) along with the duly completed IM35 application.
- Current/most recent Passport (Copies of data/photo page & observation/alteration pages)
- Current visa to stay in the UK/Ireland or UK/Ireland passport if the applicant is a Dual Citizen
- Non Acquisition of British Citizenship confirmation from the UK Border Agency (NQ2 form) if the Indefinite visa/Permanent Residence card (10 years) is older than one year.
- Original Birth Certificate (Translations are not accepted)
- Certificate under the Citizenship Act (Under Section 5(2) or 17) required, if the applicant was born outside Sri Lanka or a citizen by registration.
- Appropriate Academic/professional certificates are required for high skilled professions and a letter from the employer stating the designation is required for other professions.
- Marriage Certificate if the applicant is married and wishes to have husband’s surname included in the passport
- Copies of Sri Lankan National Identity Card , Sri Lankan Driving Licence (If available)
- Dual Citizenship Certificate (If the applicant is a Dual Citizen)
10. If the applicant of the passport is a child under 16 years, following documents are additionally required.
- No objection letter from both parents
- Copies of parents current passports (Data page, observation/alteration pages and child inclusion pages)
- Parent’s Marriage Certificate ( If they were married)
- Other appropriate documents (such as decision of the court if parents have divorced, in case separated any official document ,death certificate if one or both parents are deceased, documentation evidence with regard to the legal guardianship of the minor etc.)
GENERAL INFORMATION FOR PASSPORT APPLICATION
The Prescribed Fee:
1. For ‘M’ or ‘N’ Series Passport holders - £100/-
2. For ‘L’,’K’. and ‘J’ Series passport holders - £235/-
Method of Payment – Cash, Postal Order or Banker’s Draft only
(Postal Order/Banker’s Draft should be drawn in favour of Sri Lanka High Commission)
Please note that personal cheques will not be accepted.
Instructions for Complete Applications
- Application should be filled preferably in BLOCK letters.
- All certification/attestation should be done only by a Solicitor registered in the UK or by a General Practitioner (GP)
- Coloured identical four (04) photographs (Size – 3.5cm x 4.5cm) in white background obtained within the last 03 months showing full face with both ears and forehead visible. Photographs should be without hat, helmet, glasses or any other face covering.
- The signatures are confined to the cages provided immediately below the photographs.
- Submission of forged certificates or any other documents as well as making false declaration relating to the citizenship status is an offence. Such cases will be reported to relevant authorities.
- Fees will not be refunded at any circumstances.
- Incomplete applications will be returned and consular fees will not be refunded